- 300 grams chicken breast or thigh, skinless
- 1 tbsp tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup black rice measured uncooked
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- coconut oil or olive oil for cooking the chicken
- salt and pepper to season
- sprinkle of chilli flakes - OPTIONAL
- 1 serve cashew tahini herb sauce
- If you don't have the ⦁ cashew tahini herb sauce ready, start making this while you make these bowls. You can soak the cashews while the rice is cooking. You will make a large jar with the sauce recipe, so consider it meal prep for the week, yay!
- Start cooking black rice according to packet instructions; this should take about 30-40 minutes. (If your rice didn't come with instructions - try the absorption method on the stove, which is use 1 cup of water to 1/2 a cup of rice, and then simmer on a low heat, covered, until absorbed).
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the chicken. Combine the tamari, honey and 2 tablespoons of water together in a cup and set aside. Cut the chicken into smaller pieces that are easy to cook; if using thick chicken breasts slice them lengthways to produce two thinner pieces.
- Heat up a fry pan or grill pan and cook the chicken pieces (about 5 minutes on either side should cook it through). During the last minute or so of the cooking, pour the tamari honey mixture over the chicken and turn the chicken around in the pan so it's evenly coated. Season with a little salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Steam the broccolini and the peas until tender (steam them on the stovetop or use the microwave).
- Assemble the bowls. Divide rice, broccolini, peas and chicken between two bowls. Drizzle over any pan juices from the chicken. Spoon over cashew tahini herb sauce. Sprinkle over a little salt and pepper, and some chilli flakes if desired. Serve!