- 1 ½ cups Black Rice
- 2 cups of hot water
- 1 cup of coconut cream
- A handful of almond flakes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Vanilla pod or a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Honey or Agave syrup to taste
- Toast 1 cup of Black Rice, crushed cinnamon stick and almonds on a flat tray in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes on high or until the almonds are lightly toasted. Set aside to cool down.
- Place Black Rice, crushed cinnamon sticks, almonds and vanilla pod into blender. Add 2 cups of hot water (Not boiling) and pulse until coarsely ground. Add honey or agave syrup to taste.
- Transfer into a 2 litre jug or large mixing bowl.
- Soak for 8 – 10 hours.
- Once horchata base has matured in the fridge, give it a good stir and strain half the mix through a fine sieve into a cocktail shaker (or back into you blender).
- Add ½ a cup of coconut cream and shake (pulse on low) for a minute.
- Pour the shaken horchata mix over ice and serve chilled. Garnish with ground cinnamon.